Wednesday, May 7, 2014

How to Hack Kindle Android App to work in Indonesia (or any other countries outside of the USA)

(PS: For my fellow Indonesians: Perlu post ini dalam Bahasa Indonesia? Aku bisa buatkan kalau ada yg mau. Tolong tinggalkan comment ya)

I love ebooks. I have been reading them in all kinds of devices for years (including tiny Blackberry, more post on how to do that in the future). And my favorite reader in Kindle (and Kindle's app for Android). Of course Kinde "should" only work in the USA. Kindle Android App should only work on Android in the USA. Luckily for us the 6 billion other people, there is a back door.

Android can install app from other sources than "Google Play". And the site www.androiddrawer.com has kindly enough kept an installation file for Kindle Android App for anyone to install regardless what country they're from.

Here is my Kindle App link, shortened for easy typing in mobile browser: bit.ly/kindledw. Just go there in your Android's mobile browser and install, or follow the step-by-step instruction below.

NOTE: AndroidDrawer maintains many versions of Kindle Android App. I use version 4.0.2.54 because this version allows me access to my non-amazon-purchased .mobi files that I upload myself. I believe the later versions remove this (material for future post?).

STEP 1: Enable your Android to install from outside of "Google Play"
- Follow this article from CNET for instruction on how to do that.

STEP 2: Open the Kindle App page of AndroidDrawer
- Use your mobile browser in your Android
- Type in (or click) my shortcut link to get there: bit.ly/kindledw

STEP 3: Download and Install a version of Kindle App that fits your need:
- Click the "Download This Version" link
- When the download completes, open in and OK to install it on your Android.
- You're done.


No comments: